ClevelandBrownsCommunity
Subscribe

Deshaun Watson (left) and Shedeur Sanders (right). Image credits: via Imago

May 22, 2026, 12:59 PM CUT

Bad News For Shedeur Sanders As NFL Insider Makes Bold Deshaun Watson Claim

Shedeur Sanders’ sophomore year with the Cleveland Browns is not going to be any better. The quarterback is projected to sit on the sidelines just like he did in his rookie season.

“101%. A 101%,” Mike Garafolo said when asked about the percentage of Deshaun Watson as the Week 1 starting quarterback. 

The senior NFL insider revealed this stance during his May 21 appearance on the You Better You Bet show. Watson’s progression in the Browns has been one of the most talked-about stories this season. The 30-year-old is returning to the field after a long absence. 

Late in the October 2024 campaign, Watson sustained an injury to his right Achilles tendon and re-ruptured it the following year. However, the 30-year-old quarterback is cleared from his injury and even impressed head coach Todd Monken. 

“Deshaun's athleticism shows up. Obviously, he’s had that, but he’s had injuries that have set him back. I wouldn't say it's a surprise, but it's exciting to see It's one of his superpowers,” Monken said this week, per ESPN.

Monken praised Watson for the end-zone touchdown pass he threw to rookie wide receiver Denzel Watson in OTA practice earlier this week. In the same session, Sanders threw two interceptions.

Garafolo also touched upon Watson’s form in practice, and it would influence the season.

“I mean, if he looks horrendous in camp and preseason, right, which I don't think he will. Everything I heard out…they were like, look, Deshaun Watson is going to start,” he told Nick Kostos. “But there'll be a competition for it to play out. I know Deshaun Watson going to start for this team.”

The competition between Watson and Sanders continues. However, Watson appears to hold the pole position. If Watson does go ahead and start this season, it could open another can of worms for the Browns.

The Cleveland Browns Get A Warning Against Starting Deshaun Watson

Ken Carmen, a Browns radio host, believes that Deshaun Watson will not return to the franchise after the 2026 season. It is also unclear whether the Browns want him back.

Amidst such uncertainty, Carmen is wary of the implications of Watson as QB1.

“If he goes out and plays well, we’ve got a whole new set of circumstances because I don’t think he’s going to want to be here. If he plays well and finds a way out of here to continue his NFL career, he’s going to be on the first train out of town,” he said on May 21 on 92.3 The Fan.

Watson was traded from the Houston Texans in 2022. He signed a five-year contract worth $230 million, and in the past four years, he has played in just 19 games. Should the Browns trust him once again, when they have three other options?

Moreover, Carmen’s views contradict the recent reports on the QB’s stance.

“The source close to Watson said the QB is focused solely on the upcoming season but believes he isn’t against staying in Cleveland beyond 2026 if things go well,” ESPN reported.

If true, this raises more questions about Shedeur Sanders’ future with the Browns. What are your thoughts? 

Read more at the Cleveland Browns Community!

Written by

Akanksha Biradar